Discussion - Eliminate the Taxi Squad?

Rules proposals, discussions, and POLLS.
SiouxCity

Discussion - Eliminate the Taxi Squad?

Postby SiouxCity » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:00 am

The Squad is a good idea in theory, but it forces teams to employ a particular dynasty strategy without bringing any benefits. I taxied both Rawls and Osweiler, and could have used both this season.

In my opinion it is always a bad rule to dictate strategy without clear league benefit and it is bad for the league to have productive players forces on the bench. The NFL is hard enough to predict without having to predict which two players will be LEAST productive for an upcoming season. Remind me again the benefit the league or fun?

What do you think?

SiouxCity

Re: Discussion - Eliminate the Taxi Squad?

Postby SiouxCity » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:15 am

Did a bit more reading on this. The concept of a "taxi squad' hails from the Browns when Paul Brown used to keep players on retainer so he could call them up. When he did, he'd send a taxi to get them and bring them to the stadium so they could fill in.

The idea that taxi players cannot be played doesn't jibe with how the term is used in most dynasty leagues I've read about. In those leagues, taxi squads are limited for (for example) 1st and 2nd year players who can be move TO and FROM the taxi squad anytime. Yes, it is a place to stash young players to develop them (like ours is now), but the prohibition on playing them is unlike anything in real or fantasy sports that I've heard of.

In every real sport, you can always call a player up from the minors or D-league (or even the CFL with the right paperwork). Seems strange that we can't. The idea that I could draft a rookie, put him on a taxi squad, have him "blow up" and then not be able to play him for 12 months seems antithetical to what we are going for with our league.

With that context, I don't mind the idea of developmental spots but they should be allowed to be activated and back-filled with any other rookie (or maybe 2nd year) player.

AlienDynasty_Joe

Postby AlienDynasty_Joe » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:25 pm

I'm for eliminating the taxi squad and converting them to being regular roster spots as part of the 27-man roster.

IceRoadChamps_Kushan

Postby IceRoadChamps_Kushan » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:53 pm

I say get rid of it.

Montee ball is never going to work out

JingDynasty

Postby JingDynasty » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:46 pm

I'm for eliminating the taxi squad and moving to a 23-man roster (two less than last year). I would like to see more talent available on the waiver wire.

SiouxCity

Postby SiouxCity » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:31 pm

27-man no taxi

Return to “Rules Discussion”