Discussion - Should there be a trade deadline?

Rules proposals, discussions, and POLLS.
SiouxCity

Discussion - Should there be a trade deadline?

Postby SiouxCity » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:01 am

Pretty simple. Many dynasty leagues do not have a trade deadline.

Current State: No trades after Week 9. This is much earlier than any league, dynasty or not.

Options:
- Keep the trade deadline at Week 9
- Move it forward several weeks
- Move it to after Week 12 (last week of regular BaD season, no trades during playoffs)
- No deadline but traded players can not be started after Week 12 (or whatever)
- No deadline. Trade is open all year round.

PRO:
Dealing should never stop. If it is good for both teams, it is good for the league.

CON:
A bad trade can skew the playoffs. Many times the market isn't very open and a player that can tip the balance

POLL:
Will publish a poll when half the league has posted an opinion on the topic.

AlienDynasty_Joe

Re: Discussion - Should there be a trade deadline?

Postby AlienDynasty_Joe » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:25 pm

I very much want to see a trade deadline that is before the end of the regular season.

I do not want to see a trade between two teams in the last week that could have a great to playoff seeding or playoff results.

We have a 13-week season. I feel a deadline after Week 9 (or 10) is reasonable.

SiouxCity

Postby SiouxCity » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:40 pm

AlienDynasty_Joe wrote:I very much want to see a trade deadline that is before the end of the regular season.

I do not want to see a trade between two teams in the last week that could have a great to playoff seeding or playoff results.

What about the idea of no deadline? But you can't play the traded players? Would allow for more activity without affecting competitive balance.

IceRoadChamps_Kushan

Postby IceRoadChamps_Kushan » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:16 pm

Crazy idea of the day for me:

No trades between teams that are in different playoff standings after week 9.

Ex:
Eliminated from playoff team CAN trade with another eliminated from playoff team.
Playoff team CAN trade with another playoff team.
Eliminated team CANNOT trade with playoff team.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:21 pm

I can get behind Kushan's proposal. I prefer mine (traded players cannot be played), but anything that opens trading would be appreciated.

AlienDynasty_Joe

Postby AlienDynasty_Joe » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:20 pm

SiouxCity wrote:
AlienDynasty_Joe wrote:I very much want to see a trade deadline that is before the end of the regular season.

What about the idea of no deadline? But you can't play the traded players? Would allow for more activity without affecting competitive balance.

Problem with this is being able to manage this. I personally don't want to have to go back and ensure that a traded player was not played. But if you wanted to make a trade effective after the season's end, sure.

AlienDynasty_Joe

Postby AlienDynasty_Joe » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:23 pm

Again, my only concern is when someone trades away Tom Brady who is playing in his last NFL game ever to a team that effectively lets him win.

Trust me. If I have Brady, I'm out or feel I'm gonna lose - I'll trade him for whatever I can get. That will happen to all these aging player like Brady, Brees who will be effective up until the last day of the season.

But if the rest of the league is cool with that - I am too.

IceRoadChamps_Kushan

Postby IceRoadChamps_Kushan » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:56 pm

The counterpoint is that as a dynasty league that's part of the deal.

Some teams play for this season, others for the long haul. Want to mortgage your future for a better shot this year? Go for it.

Another crazy idea:

soft deadline of week 10. After that for every week until week 13 you give up an additional draft pick (which nobody receives)

No trades during the playoffs.
Open trading after championship.

SiouxCity

Postby SiouxCity » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:15 pm

AlienDynasty_Joe wrote:Problem with this is being able to manage this. I personally don't want to have to go back and ensure that a traded player was not played. But if you wanted to make a trade effective after the season's end, sure.

We already did that with Taxi. It's a pretty easy thing to police over a limited number of weeks. Trades any time, those players can't play. If you like, put a penalty in for those who do.

SiouxCity

Postby SiouxCity » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:17 pm

IceRoadChamps_Kushan wrote:The counterpoint is that as a dynasty league that's part of the deal.

Some teams play for this season, others for the long haul. Want to mortgage your future for a better shot this year? Go for it.

Agree with this.

IceRoadChamps_Kushan wrote:Another crazy idea:

soft deadline of week 10. After that for every week until week 13 you give up an additional draft pick (which nobody receives)

Not this though. Let us trade ... if you don't want to skew competitive balance, then don't let thoses players play. But I STILL might want to trade for Brady thinking he might unretire ... and I want that chance.

JingDynasty

Postby JingDynasty » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:48 pm

Keep the trade deadline at Week 9.

Return to “Rules Discussion”